The Buffalo County Public Defender’s Office is seeking a full-time legal assistant to serve attorneys practicing in criminal law and provide administrative capacities.
Candidates must be available to work full time 8-5 M-F in a professional office environment. Starting pay is $18.50 to $20.50 per hour, depending on experience. The County offers a comprehensive benefit package including individual health insurance, generous retirement programs, and access to a wide variety of other benefits such as family health, vision, dental, and life insurance benefits. The County offers paid vacation and sick leave and numerous paid holidays.
This position will close on or before June 24, 2022. Applications will be reviewed promptly and candidates selected for an interview will be notified via their provided email address.
An ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
• Desire to work as a legal assistant. An ideal candidate will be looking for a career, not just a job.
• Strong, professional organizational skills.
• Excellent communication skills including formal correspondence, informal writing, and telephone skills.
• Attention to detail and advanced editing/proofreading skills.
• An ability to work under narrow parameters as well as an ability to be a self-starter when needed.
• Experience managing deadlines, multitasking, and balancing the completion of routine daily tasks with long-term projects.
• A willingness to maintain confidentiality, to assist coworkers when needed, and to cope with occasionally high-stress situations.
• The ability to adapt rapidly to changes in law, office procedure, or attorney preference.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, moderate skills in Microsoft Excel, experience with managing digital records/files, and the ability to quickly and efficiently learn new software.
• A willingness to ask questions, accept feedback, and a desire to learn.
• No, or exceptionally limited, criminal history.
Strong candidates will also have experience in some of the following areas:
• Experience in assisting attorneys in state or federal court criminal or civil practices.
• A demonstrated history of cooperative work with multiple agencies, departments or offices to manage complex projects.
• Experience in calendaring, scheduling and in coordination of meetings.
• Desire to produce quality, professional, work-product that is well edited, and which reflects well on yourself and the attorneys you will assist.
• Experience inaccurate data entry and maintenance.
• Experience in assisting during meetings with tasks such as paperwork management, minutes, or time management.
All applicants should address in their cover letters what makes them the ideal candidate for the position and what each applicant hopes to find in an ideal employer.
Though prior experience as a legal assistant is not required, candidates with legal assistant experience should provide details about their experience including practice areas, case volumes, specialized skills and experience.
Candidates without prior experience as a legal assistant should highlight employment or educational experience that closely align with the desired skills and should specifically address, in their cover letter, why they are seeking employment as a legal assistant.
Candidate should have a Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Buffalo County is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Veteran’s Preference employer. Candidates wishing to request a veteran’s preference should indicate so in their application and provide the appropriate supporting documentation.
Applicants must fully complete the Buffalo County Application for Employment, must provide a resume or CV, a cover letter, and contact information for professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All finalists will be subject to a thorough background check. Applications and required material should be mailed to Attn: Advertisement at PO Box 605 Kearney, NE 68848 or emailed in PDF form firstname.lastname@example.org.
Formal employment application paperwork is available at https://www.buffalocounty.ne.gov/Article/JOB-APPLICATION